The studio opens its doors to our new and returning students on Tuesday, September 5th. For our first time students and parents, this may cause a bit of anxiety because the world of dance or this studio may be new to you.
Here is the good news. ADC teachers have experienced many first days with new students! Please know we are not judging in any way. There are times students will not walk through the door. They may have separation anxiety. Staying calm and collected and patient typically pays off. The first few weeks of classes with our younger students may feel hectic. Young dancers are getting to know the routine. Teachers are getting to know your child. It takes a few weeks to establish both. Our number one priority is making your child feel comfortable. We want them to trust the teacher. The next goal is to allow them to fall in love with dance! This often doesn't happen in week one. Going in with little expectations is helpful.
SOME TIPS FOR THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASS
1. Come dressed for class (see dresscode here).
2. Bring a bag with the shoes your child needs for class. Put their names in the shoes to identify easily.
3. Show up 5-10 minutes before class starts to familiarize yourself and your little dancer with the space.
4. Talk about dance class a few weeks before it begins. Let them know they will have a dance teacher that will show them how to move. There will be rules to follow (we need to take turns, change lines etc). Talk about how excited you are to see them dance and how much fun dance can be.
5. If you have a young one that is experiencing timidness you should stay through the course of the class. We strongly discourage parents in the studio because it becomes a hard habit to break but we do have viewing windows and a tv monitor where you may watch the class in its entirety.
6. Come to ope house on Wednesday August 28th between 4PM - 7PM. There will be fun giveaways and dance wear for sale. Most importantly our child will see the space before the first day of class and meet some teachers and say hello.
1. The bathroom is located in studio c. Please feel free to cut through our office to access the bathroom
2. We have ample parking at 111 Cherry St. but Saturdays may get a bit crowded. Parking across the street at Stone Park is available as well as the Megunko side of the building. Kindly refrain from parking in the pet groomer's reserved spots which are only 2.
3. Shelley is our friendly Office Manager and she is there to assist you in any way she can. The first week is often wrought with questions. Connect with our staff member in the know to answer any questions you may have.
4. We have tights, leotards, shorts, and tank tops for sale at the studio. We do not carry shoes.
We are looking forward to a successful transition into the studio for all our students. Stay in communication with your child's teacher or me if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing ADC. We look forward to sharing our 42nd year with you and your child.