First Day of Dance Class for New Students 2023
The studio opens its doors to our new and returning students on Wednesday, September 6th. For our first time students and parents, this may cause a bit of anxiety because the world of dance or this specific studio may be new to you. You may be worried about wearing masks and assimilation into the procedures.
Here is the good news. ADC teachers have experienced many first days with new students! Please know we are not judging in any way. There are times students will not walk through the door. They may have separation anxiety. Staying calm and collected and patient typically pays off, especially during these trying times. The first few weeks of classes with our younger students may feel hectic. Young dancers are getting to know the routine. Parents are getting to know drop off routines. Teachers are getting to know your child. It takes a few weeks to establish the norm. Our number one priority is making your child feel comfortable. We want them to trust the teacher. The next goal is to allow them to fall in love with dance! This often doesn't happen on week one. Going in with an open mind and patience is helpful.
SOME TIPS FOR THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASS FOR OUR YOUNGEST DANCERS:
1. Talk about dance class the week leading up to the start of the season. Get your dancer comfortable with the idea of class if this is their first structured class experience. Tell them there will be rules to follow (we need to take turns, change lines etc). Talk about how excited you are to see them dance and how much fun dance can be. Let them know their dance teachers name.
2. Come to open house August 30th from 5 - 7:00PM to meet teachers and see the space. Grab a goodie bag, play a game, take a picture in the photo booth and enter to win $100.00 off tuition 2. Dancewear and tights for sale as well.
3. Get dressed for class at home (see dresscode here) so you are ready when class begins.
4. Arrive 5 minutes before class so dancers may put shoes on, hang up coats etc.
5. Enter through the main studio door on Cherry Street. There are waiting rooms to put shoes on etc.
6. Bring a bag with the shoes your child needs for class. Put their names in the shoes to identify easily.
7. Bring a water bottle if you think your child will get thirsty.
8. Any information the studio needs to know about your child? Reach out to the office and let us know before the start of class so teacher's are prepared and can make it a positive experience for your child.
1. The bathroom is located in studio c.
2. We have ample parking at 111 Cherry St. & Megunko Street side of the building.
3. There will be office staff on hand to help you navigate the first day and assist in any way we can.
4. We have tights, leotards, shorts, and tank tops for sale at the studio. We do not carry shoes.
We are looking forward to a successful transition into the studio for all our students. Stay in communication with your child's teacher or the office if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing ADC. We look forward to sharing our 46th year with you and your child.